Learn More‎ > ‎


How do I learn to fly, what will it cost & how long does it take?


The NZHGPA is the licensing body for hang gliding and paragliding in New Zealand. Become a member here: https://member.nzhgpa.org.nz/Join-us.

To learn to fly, contact one of the local hang gliding or paragliding schools.



Although there is a standard syllabus in order to become a licensed pilot, the cost and length of time will depend on school, the weather conditions and your own commitment and ability to develop the right skills & attitude to be able to fly safely.


What can I tell farmers or other landowners who are concerned about pilots accessing their property?


The NZHGPA has an insurance policy covering Personal Injury and Property Damage.

The policy covers NZHGPA members holding a valid and current flying license.

Policy details can be found here: http://www.nzhgpa.org.nz/members/opmforms

Note that the NZHGPA policy does not cover damage caused by vehicles. You should be aware that when accessing property using a vehicle, it is the responsibility of the owner or hirer of the vehicle to have a policy covering damage.

Health & Safety Reform Bill

There may be concern from farmers about their obligations under the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015.

This site has useful information to address that; relevant quote from the site is below.


The obligations of farm owners or managers towards recreational visitors do not differ substantially from those under the former Health and Safety in Employment Act 1992. When recreational visitors enter a workplace or a place near a workplace with the farm owner’s or manager’s consent, the owners or managers and their workers have a duty to ensure the safety of the visitors from work-related hazards that place them at risk of harm.

 As the people in charge of the workplace, the farm owner or manager and their workers have an obligation to ensure visitors are warned of any specific hazards on the farm that they would not normally expect to encounter, such as tree-felling, blasting, earthmoving machinery or pest control activities. This obligation relates only to parts of the farm that visitors will be accessing – there is no need to warn visitors about hazards that are not on or near a route they will be using.

Natural features like bluffs, landslides, rivers and wasp nests are excluded, along with hazards you would expect to find as part of a farm operation, such as barbed wire and electric fences.

If there are explicit farm rules, for example around speed or wearing of protective gear, farm owners or managers and their workers are entitled to request that visitors obey these.

If a visitor trips over a tree-root or stone, a farm owner or manager won’t be held responsible for the other person’s carelessness. If the owner or occupier could not reasonably have been expected to know of a hazard, they cannot be held responsible for any harm that occurs to a recreational visitor.

Farm owners or managers have a general duty to ensure risks are identified, managed and communicated to visitors, either by themselves or by workers or contractors working on the farm. They will not be held liable for injury to unauthorised visitors where there is no opportunity to communicate.

Based on this, farmers should be encouraged to allow access to their land without being unreasonably concerned about their liability.